2013年5月4日土曜日

The Tour Guide

fish and sake at Suzuden
Tokyo is a fun place to show people. I got an email from a friend in the States the other day,  unexpected but pleasant, and had the pleasure of showing off a few places I like.

First we went to a stand bar in Yotsuya, in central Tokyo. The bar, Suzuden, is also a sake shop which has possibly one of the best selections of sake in Tokyo and by extension, in Japan. They purvey sake to the Imperial household so they have great stuff to sample. (In spite of that, their prices are very reasonable. Cheaper than a night out in a major city in the States by a long shot.) The menu is all in Japanese which I have become so accustomed to, I don't even see the problem until I'm out with non-Japanese readers. I ordered a glass of a brand that I like and I got a different style (slightly sweeter) for my friend and some fish that had been braised in soy sauce and sugar to go with it. We drank it at room temperature which is how I like it. Yum. For some reason, I don't like it heated anymore. It tastes too harsh to me warm.

We then moved on to Kanda. Kanda is an old blue collar area in the center of Tokyo. There are rows upon rows of little bars under the railroad tracks there. I had a favorite place to go, but, as luck would have it they were closed because of construction. I figured this was a message to try someplace new so we tried a little hole in the wall yakitori (barbecued chicken on a stick) place. It was pleasantly old and blue collar and this time I decided to introduce Anna to shochu, the Japanese version of vodka. First we ordered a variety of kebob like chicken parts and then we had wheat and sweet potato shochu, hers straight and mine on the rocks. She liked my on the rocks so we had wheat on the rocks for round two.
A small concession to healthful eating

We split up soon after that. Tokyo is about two hours from home for me. But I want to thank Anna for giving me the opportunity to be a tour guide. I love to show off Tokyo. Next time - Osaka.







shochu and yakitori at ? in Kanda

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿